Sunday 20 March 2016

Seven Great CD Era Albums That Will Probably Never Be Released in Vinyl


Recommend Article Article Comments Print Article
Expert Author Doug Poe
The cycle continues. For twenty years I spent much time and effort trying to replace my favorite records in CD format, a task that in some cases proved rather expensive. Some of the most delightful titles, alas, I could never find in CD.
Among these non-CD albums was one called Pandora's Box by Jonathan King. He was an eccentric artist who became unfairly known as a one hit wonder when his song "Everyone's Gone to the Moon" climbed the charts.
That hit was not on Pandora's Box, an album that King refused to allow to be transferred to compact disc. I did manage to make an unflattering copy with my home converter, but it never reached the quality of the vinyl edition.
Now, twenty years later, I find myself in an opposite dilemma. As vinyl has come back in favor, I have several CDs that are unlikely ever to be released in vinyl. Whereas I did manage to convert my records to CD, the opposite process is not possible for me. I cannot purchase equipment that changes digital music to analog.
I am at the mercy of record companies to produce these vinyl conversions, which will only happen with albums they think will sell. Unfortunately, some of my favorites from the CD era were not mega hits, thus shall never get the vinyl treatment.
Here are seven excellent CDs that are not likely to ever appear in vinyl.
Thus Forever to Tyrants by Scott Miller and the Commonwealth
After his alt-country band the V-Roys broke up, Miller created this gem that includes "Johnson County Boy", "Daddy Raised a Boy" and "Dear Sara."
The Pestilence Is Coming by the Minor Leagues
These Cincinnati-based indie rockers reached their peak on this concept album that would make Fountains of Wayne and Weezer proud.
I Know by John Gorka
The new folk movement of the late eighties was boosted by this debut album, filled with clever songs like "I Saw a Stranger with Your Hair", "Out of My Mind" and "Branching Out."
Home by Deep Blue Something
"Breakfast at Tiffany's" proved to be a huge hit that may some day find itself on a vinyl anthology, but the rest of this great album will probably spend eternity in digital state only.
Alpacas Orgling by L.E.O.
Fans of Jeff Lynne and the Electric Light Orchestra would love this album, which has been unfairly ignored by all music media since its 2006 release.
Catch-All by Swag
The song "Eight" resonates as Armed Forces era Elvis Costello, while "Trixie" and "Lone" would not sound at all out of place on a late sixties pop anthology.
Low to the Ground by the Waxwings
The alternative group went on to record three albums, but this debut was their best.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/expert/Doug_Poe/1952596

No comments:

Post a Comment